Friday, June 10, 2011

Stealing Water

by Tim Ecott
Review by Ms. Carson, HHS Librarian

Let me just say that I always thought I came from a pretty weird family.  A loving, but slightly deranged group of misfits (myself included).  Well, honey, my family and your family have NOTHING on Ecott's.  His mum runs a pawn shop in the bowels of South Africa that regularly hides hot goods and criminals (of all varieties).  His dad has the kind of temper that involves molotov cocktails at midnight.  It isn't unusual for his home to contain more animals than people.  Money, water, and food are in short supply, but never gin or Valium.  The adults seem less responsible than the children.  And no one knows each other's real age.

A truly engrossing read, almost entirely without self-pity or affectation.  The real-life version of Coupland's All Families are Psychotic.  Just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment